RPG Freak
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
RPG Freak

RPG Freak is a forum based play-by-post role playing site with a growing community that doesn't restrict itself to any one genre. RPG Freak is all about role playing diversity.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How to handle multiple characters.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

How to handle multiple characters. Empty
PostSubject: How to handle multiple characters.   How to handle multiple characters. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 2:59 pm

What do you think about having multiple accounts? One for each character? That way when you post in a thread, it's easier to see who is who. And at the same time, your character can have a little character sheet type of thing set up on his/her profile page?

On the negative side, if you're playing two or three different games, you'd be logging in and out more. Which might be a pain in the ass.

Just a thought, looking for a general concensus on the idea.

Last edited by Admin on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://rpgfreak.rpg-board.net
dreamshell

Character sheet
Character:
How to handle multiple characters. Left_bar_bleue1/3How to handle multiple characters. Empty_bar_bleue  (1/3)
Info:
More info:

PostSubject: Re: How to handle multiple characters.   How to handle multiple characters. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 3:09 pm

Yeah, it mostly sounds like a pain in the ass. Also, I don't know if each account wouldn't necessitate a unique email address or not. Which would be even worse.

Could be that PC profiles (perhaps truncated versions) could be posted all within the same user profile so anyone checking it out knows all the characters said user is playing.
Back to top Go down
dreamshell

Character sheet
Character:
How to handle multiple characters. Left_bar_bleue1/3How to handle multiple characters. Empty_bar_bleue  (1/3)
Info:
More info:

PostSubject: Re: How to handle multiple characters.   How to handle multiple characters. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 3:11 pm

Update to above idea: Actually, links to the PC profiles themselves could work just as well, and save room the user profile.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to handle multiple characters.   How to handle multiple characters. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 3:14 pm

Well the unique email thing isn't really necessary, I have it set so that you don't have to activate anything to join (though if we ever get spam attacked I might activate that). So even a phony email gets you in.

Also, there's an option I can turn on that allows for character sheets. If I turn that on, would you like to be a guini pig who tries to figure out how it works?
Back to top Go down
dreamshell

Character sheet
Character:
Info:
More info:

PostSubject: Re: How to handle multiple characters.   How to handle multiple characters. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 3:24 pm

Ah, well that's slightly better, I suppose.

And sure, I'll try and help test it.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to handle multiple characters.   How to handle multiple characters. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 3:45 pm

I have added the character sheet functionality. It has three fields, I named them stupid shit like "Character Sheet" "Info" and "More Info".

mess with them if you have time, figure out how they work. ideas for what to name the fields -or how we should use them- let me know.
Back to top Go down
cool74

cool74

Character sheet
Character:
Info: Uydr
More info: Baddass Beast man

PostSubject: Re: How to handle multiple characters.   How to handle multiple characters. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 9:39 pm

IF we got multiple games going how will the character sheets help?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to handle multiple characters.   How to handle multiple characters. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 9:51 pm

cool74 wrote:
IF we got multiple games going how will the character sheets help?

I dont know, honestly. I was trying to figure out if there is a way to allow users to create more than one sheet, but I'm not seeing the option. So it looks like it's multiple accounts or "forget the sheets". (they don't seem to be worth a whole lot anyway, unless there's something I'm missing)

I don't think character sheets are a real necessity, really. I've run several online forum based rpg threads that didn't involve character sheets at all.

We can easily have a reference/companion thread to some games in which you post everything you need about your character in, and can edit in updates. That might be the easiest option really.

Just thinking out loud here but unless there's any objections, the reference thread is the route I think we'll take.

(sorry, this post was a bit stream of concious.)
Back to top Go down
dreamshell

Character sheet
Character:
Info:
More info:

PostSubject: Re: How to handle multiple characters.   How to handle multiple characters. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 10:58 pm

Admin wrote:
We can easily have a reference/companion thread to some games in which you post everything you need about your character in, and can edit in updates. That might be the easiest option really.

That's what I've usually done in the past with other games, yeah. Usually the GM provides PC options and a profile skeleton and then the players throw up their characters beneath them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to handle multiple characters.   How to handle multiple characters. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to handle multiple characters.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RPG Freak :: Questions and Suggestions-
Jump to: