RPG Freak
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
RPG Freak

RPG Freak is a forum based play-by-post role playing site with a growing community that doesn't restrict itself to any one genre. RPG Freak is all about role playing diversity.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Historic - A New World (CLOSED)

Go down 
+6
Sheol
dreamshell
cool74
Bo
Mizal
Admin
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Historic - A New World (CLOSED)   Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 12:25 am

Sheol wrote:

Poor Sheol. Everybody probably thinks he's some kind of sex monger.

If you still want to go ahead with this character, that's fine. But I feel I should warn you that 'unmanly' is a very bad thing to be in Norse mythology and ancient Norse society. Google it if you want to verify it. Keywords Norse Transgender or Norse Hermaphrodite. Though one of their gods, Loki, was known to change sex from time to time... He was looked down upon for it and it is fairly common knowledge that no one trusted Loki.

While I could give two shits less what choices a person makes in their lives, I am commited to roleplaying as accurately as I can manage; and character does not seem well suited to the setting of this particular adventure. I doubt the characters are going to think of Sheol as a sex monger but I can pretty much guaruntee that your character is going to get dirty looks, insults, and a healthy dose of cold shoulders. If that's not a problem for you, cool. Press on with your character. But I don't want you to have a crappy time playing, so please consider this carefully before continuing.
Back to top Go down
https://rpgfreak.rpg-board.net
Mizal

Mizal

Character sheet
Character:
Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1/3Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/3)
Info: Avren Cinneta
More info: Seeker of Knowledge

PostSubject: Re: Historic - A New World (CLOSED)   Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 12:40 am

Welcome Sheol! Smile

Just out of curiosity, how did you find us? You might possibly be the first member who didn't wander in from CYS or IS, so there's that.

Oh, yes...and for no particular reason I would like to alter Thon's description now--he's still Chris Hemsworth, but he has a beard. I mean, not a full on prospector beard or anything (think more Boramir than Gimli) but it's still there and it's all manly and stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sheol

PostSubject: Re: Historic - A New World (CLOSED)   Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 2:05 am

Admin wrote:
Sheol wrote:

Poor Sheol. Everybody probably thinks he's some kind of sex monger.

If you still want to go ahead with this character, that's fine. But I feel I should warn you that 'unmanly' is a very bad thing to be in Norse mythology and ancient Norse society. Google it if you want to verify it. Keywords Norse Transgender or Norse Hermaphrodite. Though one of their gods, Loki, was known to change sex from time to time... He was looked down upon for it and it is fairly common knowledge that no one trusted Loki.

While I could give two shits less what choices a person makes in their lives, I am commited to roleplaying as accurately as I can manage; and character does not seem well suited to the setting of this particular adventure. I doubt the characters are going to think of Sheol as a sex monger but I can pretty much guaruntee that your character is going to get dirty looks, insults, and a healthy dose of cold shoulders. If that's not a problem for you, cool. Press on with your character. But I don't want you to have a crappy time playing, so please consider this carefully before continuing.

It doesn't really bother me how my character is going to be perceived, whether it be negatively or not. Thanks for the warning though.

@ Mizal :: I went to the RPG directory on Proboards and this was the latest submission.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Historic - A New World (CLOSED)   Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 12:05 pm

[quote="Sheol"][quote="Admin"]
Sheol wrote:

It doesn't really bother me how my character is going to be perceived, whether it be negatively or not. Thanks for the warning though.

@ Mizal :: I went to the RPG directory on Proboards and this was the latest submission.

Alright, groovy. Hopefully you read this before tonight, but the first update is tonight so try and get a post in the thread before hand. You can still play if you miss it, so if you're reading this after Monday night it's no big deal that you missed it.

First active member not from IS or CYS. I believe this is a milestone.
Back to top Go down
Sheol

PostSubject: Re: Historic - A New World (CLOSED)   Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 2:03 pm

Admin wrote:

Alright, groovy. Hopefully you read this before tonight, but the first update is tonight so try and get a post in the thread before hand. You can still play if you miss it, so if you're reading this after Monday night it's no big deal that you missed it.

The link on the first page doesn't work. I don't know how to get to the RP
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Historic - A New World (CLOSED)   Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 2:11 pm

Sheol wrote:
Admin wrote:

The link on the first page doesn't work. I don't know how to get to the RP

Correcting now. Click here

For future reference, the games in play are in the Games in Play forum.
Back to top Go down
Mizal

Mizal

Character sheet
Character:
Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1/3Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/3)

PostSubject: Re: Historic - A New World (CLOSED)   Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 10:08 pm

Oh yes, and I'll just leave this right here in case anyone needs help getting in the properly Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Rva93d state of mind, or just wants to look at some cool artwork.

I actually don't know that much about RL Vikings; sadly they probably weren't as cool as Orlanthians. (probably couldn't enter the godrealm and bend reality if enough of them got together and got drunk enough either, but oh well..)
Back to top Go down
dreamshell

Character sheet
Character:
Info:
More info:

PostSubject: Re: Historic - A New World (CLOSED)   Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 10:12 pm

Mizal wrote:
I actually don't know that much about RL Vikings

I do. tongue I'm sort of a history dork.
Back to top Go down
Mizal

Mizal

Character sheet
Character:

PostSubject: Re: Historic - A New World (CLOSED)   Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 10:22 pm

dreamshell wrote:

I do. tongue I'm sort of a history dork.

I am too! I just have this weird horned-helmet shaped gap in my knowledge for some reason. It's inexcusable and I'm sorry. Sad And I don't even know if they actually wore horned helmets! Or even used axes! I'm going to be so sad when it turns out they're not really this awesome mishmash of that game I just linked, Gimli, How to Train Your Dragon, Thor, and my vague memories of Beowulf from highschool. (Just like with pretty much every historical culture ever, the stereotypes are usually so much more fun than 'sexist bigoted assholes who murdered lots and lots of people' anyway...)
Back to top Go down
dreamshell

Character sheet
Character:
Info:
More info:

PostSubject: Re: Historic - A New World (CLOSED)   Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 10:46 pm

Mizal wrote:
I am too! I just have this weird horned-helmet shaped gap in my knowledge for some reason. It's inexcusable and I'm sorry. Sad And I don't even know if they actually wore horned helmets! Or even used axes! I'm going to be so sad when it turns out they're not really this awesome mishmash of that game I just linked, Gimli, How to Train Your Dragon, Thor, and my vague memories of Beowulf from highschool. (Just like with pretty much every historical culture ever, the stereotypes are usually so much more fun than 'sexist bigoted assholes who murdered lots and lots of people' anyway...)

Well, from what I recall, there's no evidence Vikings had horned helmets, save perhaps for religious rituals. Sad, but true. Crying or Very sad

As for axes, well yes, I imagine so.

Also, fun fact, the term "Viking" comes used to be a verb. Going "a-viking" was basically to go on a raid by sea. So the Vikings basically just the Norse navy, though they behaved more like pirates.
Back to top Go down
Bo

Bo

Character sheet
Character:
Info: Ulmark
More info: A simple former slave from a south-western land. He likes hitting things with sticks, so don't make him mad... especially if he has a stick

PostSubject: Re: Historic - A New World (CLOSED)   Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 11:16 pm

*Gasp* I'm a history buff as well! I don't have any "weird" memorabillia that I know of, but I probably did when I was younger.

As for the horned helmets... I dunno. The myth had to start somewhere, so maybe one or two had them, or maybe it was just one Viking tribe that wore them in order to intimidate their enemies and their victims just painted all vikings that way (It's happened before) but it stuck. Of course, we could have another "Dracula" on our hands, where one group wanted to make another group scarier/detestable to their own people in order to have less remorse when they have to kill their kind in war. I could see that happening, although beserkers really did happen, I can see how painting Vikings as a group of Large, hairy men that feel no pain, burn villages on a whim, and rape women during the plunder who wear horned hats to impale their enemies with as something to rally against, don't you?
Back to top Go down
cool74

cool74

Character sheet
Character:
Info: Uydr
More info: Baddass Beast man

PostSubject: Re: Historic - A New World (CLOSED)   Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 11:33 pm

Bo wrote:
*Gasp* I'm a history buff as well! I don't have any "weird" memorabillia that I know of, but I probably did when I was younger.

As for the horned helmets... I dunno. The myth had to start somewhere, so maybe one or two had them, or maybe it was just one Viking tribe that wore them in order to intimidate their enemies and their victims just painted all vikings that way (It's happened before) but it stuck. Of course, we could have another "Dracula" on our hands, where one group wanted to make another group scarier/detestable to their own people in order to have less remorse when they have to kill their kind in war. I could see that happening, although beserkers really did happen, I can see how painting Vikings as a group of Large, hairy men that feel no pain, burn villages on a whim, and rape women during the plunder who wear horned hats to impale their enemies with as something to rally against, don't you?

I am more of a mythology expert but I do learn a little history while studying the subject.

In Norse mythology Odin the leader of the gods was always projected as having a horned helmet. If I am reading into this correctly horned helmets might have been a status symbol and in a warroristic society like the Norse. The best warriors, or the ones to be feared would ware them. Sprouting the myth that all vikings are battle crazed savages with horned helmets.
Back to top Go down
Phlimm

Phlimm

Character sheet
Character:
Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1/1Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)
Info:
More info:

PostSubject: Re: Historic - A New World (CLOSED)   Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 3:03 am

The Vikings never ever wore horned helmets. The only reference that has a horned helmet is a drawing of Loki and that was likely actual horns growing out of his head. I have never seen Óðinn shown with horns in period artwork.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Historic - A New World (CLOSED)   Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 3:06 am

Could be the crow wings that he is sometimes depicted with being mistaken for horns... I dunno.
Back to top Go down
cool74

cool74

Character sheet
Character:
Info: Uydr
More info: Baddass Beast man

PostSubject: Re: Historic - A New World (CLOSED)   Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 3:07 am

Phlimm wrote:
The Vikings never ever wore horned helmets. The only reference that has a horned helmet is a drawing of Loki and that was likely actual horns growing out of his head. I have never seen Óðinn shown with horns in period artwork.

Hmm I guess in the mythology books I had the pictures werent period art. Even through they looked like it. or it could be what the admin said.
Back to top Go down
Phlimm

Phlimm

Character sheet
Character:
Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1/1Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)
Info:
More info:

PostSubject: Re: Historic - A New World (CLOSED)   Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 3:32 am

Things that helped make it an urban myth:

1. The Oseberg tapestry shows a figure that is horned, which is likely Loki
2. Artists in the 1800s

But yeah, there have been zero archaeological finds that indicate horned helmets.
Back to top Go down
Phlimm

Phlimm

Character sheet
Character:
Info:
More info:

PostSubject: Re: Historic - A New World (CLOSED)   Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 4:14 pm

I'll jump in with Nord:

Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Mann

A hunter and navigator (navigating by the stars is kind of a nice thing to know when you are out in the middle of nowhere hunting)
Back to top Go down
Moe the Maneater
Admin
Admin
Moe the Maneater

PostSubject: Re: Historic - A New World (CLOSED)   Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 9:45 pm

Looks great! Approved. Go ahead and start posintg whenever you want.

EDIT: Which I see you have already done. Cool. Razz
Back to top Go down
masshavok

masshavok

Location : your deepest darkest dreams of unforgiving sex and nihilism

Character sheet
Character:
Info:
More info:

PostSubject: Re: Historic - A New World (CLOSED)   Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 8:20 am

Im a huge nerd when it comes to viking mythology and history being that my ancestors were the notorious barbarian/tradesmen. at least i suppose so due to my heritage lol. being a viking is actually a (not so secret) secret wish of mine Very Happy

name: Reave
Looks: 6 ft 230 pounds muscular. medium length brown hair that is unkempt and a scraggly beard. He has scars down both his arms and the left side of his torso that make strange and twisted runes. he has a tattoo that starts at the base of his neck and curls around to take up most of the right side of his face. on his left cheek he has an obviously newer tatto of a Valknut on his left cheek marking him as an honorable warrior of odin which clashes drastically with his demonic scarification and neck/face tattoo. he is clearly from a much more savage tribe than the average viking.
occupation: ex berserker (if allowed, im not thinking of having him transform into an ogre or anything like that just go into a rage mode type thing) and a hunter
Back to top Go down
Fire Couch
Admin
Admin
Fire Couch

PostSubject: Re: Historic - A New World (CLOSED)   Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 2:40 pm

Unfortunately it's gonna be a while before this one is back up and running. The lack of interest has put it on hold. We'll probably relauch this down the road. Sorry. But stick around if you're interested in it, because we'll need a good sized cast for the relaunch... At least 8 players.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Historic - A New World (CLOSED)   Historic - A New World (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Historic - A New World (CLOSED)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2