RPG Freak
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
RPG Freak

RPG Freak is a forum based play-by-post role playing site with a growing community that doesn't restrict itself to any one genre. RPG Freak is all about role playing diversity.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Fantasy - (CLOSED)

Go down 
+2
cool74
Admin
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 7:06 pm

Looking for members to join a fantasy setting. You start out in a northern city called Grey Lake just before the fall of winter, specifically in the common room of the Rusted Nail (an inn). Characters must be preapproved. No need for statistics, just some background info on your character will suffice. Questions or expressions of interest in joining should be posted here.

Last edited by Fire Couch on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:48 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://rpgfreak.rpg-board.net
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 7:20 pm

Updates 2x a week, Late Monday night (practically Tues. morning) and Late Thursday night (practically Friday)

Post here if you're interested in joining. Please include a few character details. Doesn't have to be anything concrete, and you're welcome to change whatever before the game actually starts.
Back to top Go down
cool74

cool74

Character sheet
Character:
Fantasy - (CLOSED) Left_bar_bleue1/3Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty_bar_bleue  (1/3)
Info: Uydr
More info: Baddass Beast man

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 11:51 pm

So do we assume our character is human and build a back story from there? Also, What type of classes can you be?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 12:05 am

cool74 wrote:
So do we assume our character is human and build a back story from there? Also, What type of classes can you be?

You're human.

Assume for a moment that you've never heard of d&d or lord of the rings or any other fantasy classic. What is your character? Is he/she a mercenary, a thief, a farmer, a scholar, a servent, slave, gladiator, master of hounds, hunter, etc? Anything you can come up with (that doesn't involve magic) is yours.

If you're going in depth with details and are stuck on things like place of origin or religion, just write something general. (ie, I worship the god of life -or- I come from a desert region). I'll fill in the finer details. But no pressure to fill any of that in either, just a general character description is fine.

(also, welcome to the site)
Back to top Go down
cool74

cool74

Character sheet
Character:

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 12:29 am

Hmm, Basically nothing mystical or mythological. Give me a second to see if I can figure something out that will be interesting to add to the game.

(Also thank you for the welcome)
Back to top Go down
cool74

cool74

Character sheet
Character:

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 3:16 am

Beast man

He was raised by the beasts of the forest and savannahs. He understands animals better then humans and lacks etiqute. Would be a brute of a man but very fast for his size. Strong as a bear , savage as a wolf, smart like a fox, agile as a gazelle, fast like a cheetah, noble as the lion. He would tower over his fellows.

(Does that work?)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 9:37 am

It works. Odd, but works.

Alright, we got a man who was raised by beasts. A few questions for you while we wait for a few other people to join/sign up...

What's his name? Can he speak the common tongue of the land? What's he look like (hair color, eyes, scars, etc). No need to rush with any of this info since no one else has signed up yet.

But I'd like to start this by the end of next week. Feel free to pimp the site out to any friends who are interested in role playing that you may have. (I'll probably start the bar scene a little earlier so you have something to do besides wait for more to join, but the real action won't start till we get a few more people.)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 1:25 pm

The thread is started, you're welcome to start on it, cool. No real action till next week but there will be NPCs that you could gain information from and other such things. (just figure out a name for your character first please)

Last edited by Admin on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dreamshell

Character sheet
Character:
Info:
More info:

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 2:05 pm

I think I'll join this one, too. Here's my PC;

Name: Tom Knave
Sex: M
Appearance: Mousy and small for his age, but sinewy from hours of menial labor. Wears patchwork clothes and is often somewhat dirty due to the nature of his work and having few chances to bathe.
Personality: Tom is a bit shy, but friendly and dutiful. He has a curious mind and is always eager to know more about the world around him. At this point in his life he doesn’t know what he wants to be, but he’s pretty sure he doesn’t want to stay a servant or become an innkeeper.
Background: As a babe, Tom was abandoned on the doorstep of the Rusted Nail. Since he was old enough to walk and talk, he has served its innkeeper*. His surname derives from the occupation put down beside his name during a town census. Tom cannot read or write, but probably could someday if taught, as he is a quick learner. After years of toiling, he has become a capable worker and is generally practical, if still naïve due to his young age. Regardless of his conditions at present (good or bad, depending on his home life), the urge to leave the inn and see the world increases every day.

*More about his life will require some input as to how the innkeeper might treat him, if he/she has any family of his/her own, etc..

I figure this is a decent PC to play, as he can learn about the world he lives in as I do. If someone older or more action-oriented is preferable, let me know and that’s easily doable.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 2:35 pm

dreamshell wrote:
I think I'll join this one, too. Here's my PC;

Name: Tom Knave

Awesome Dreamy, you can start Tom posting in there immediately if you'd like. No real action for a few more days though, Monday at the earliest... Hopefully we can get a few more people to join and start up.

I'll be messaging you some additional information for your character.
Back to top Go down
cool74

cool74

Character sheet
Character:

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 2:40 pm

Name: Uydr (No last)
Conman tongue: Yes he is very smart even through he was raised by beasts, but he does have a strange accent.

Brown hair that is shaggy and wild looking. No beard. His eyes are a combo of Hazel and blue, He has scars on his arms and chest and One slash going from is top left brow to his right bottom corner of his eye. About 6ft9in very muscular and fast.

sex:M

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 2:48 pm

Cool, you are also cleared to enter the forum thread linked above. Again, the game itself won't start until (at least) Monday, possibly Friday. But from there, regular twice weekly updates.

Hopefully we can get a few more member before then and have a decent sized group (4-6 prefereably) and really get things rolling. I want to at the very least have 3 players. Sorry, I'm rambling now.
Back to top Go down
cool74

cool74

Character sheet
Character:

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 2:49 pm

Also he does not carry weapons. He considers people who use weapons weak.
Back to top Go down
dreamshell

Character sheet
Character:
Info:
More info:

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 2:58 pm

A question: What tense should we write with? Your initial post is present tense, which is fine with me if you want to roll with that. I just have a personal preference for making sure we all stick to the same one.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 3:00 pm

Present tense please. I'll add that to the FAQs.
Back to top Go down
Mizal

Mizal

Character sheet
Character:
Info: Avren Cinneta
More info: Seeker of Knowledge

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 8:13 pm

Working on a profile right now. (Trying to decide between several, to be more accurate...)

Couple of A few Several questions about the setting.

Can we play more than one character? What about writing in minor NPCs?

I'm assuming mages are not welcome (and wholeheartedly approve!) because they're so often played by godmoding twelve year olds or people with the minds of godmoding twelve year olds, but does that apply to magic of any form, no matter how subtle? If it does exist, how common is it, and what sort of feelings do most ordinary people have to it? (Actually I'm interested in that last question even if it doesn't exist.)

Is there a dominant religion? Non-human races?

Any more info you can give about Grey Lake or the surrounding area in general? What kind of government does it have?

I'm know I'm being super, super spergy here, I do that with new settings, but even knowing things like the general atmosphere of the town (like where it falls on the scale between 'honest, hard-working, God-fearing citizens' and 'purse strings and throats being cut 24/7') helps immensely when trying to work out my character's background information and outlook on life, even if I don't need all that for the actual public profile.

e: just read the FAQ, and blaarg I hate trying to do these kinds of things in first person. Sad
oh well, I'll live

e2: Seriously though, I just reread my post and it comes off a little more like an interrogation than I intended. This is mainly all just stuff I'm curious about but it's by no means vital to know right off the bat, I'm cool with filling in the blanks as we go to.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 9:06 pm

Mizal wrote:
Working on a profile right now. (Trying to decide between several, to be more accurate...)
questions about the setting.

Can we play more than one character? What about writing in minor NPCs?
You are a question machine.

One character only. Minor NPCs are potentially okay, just run it by me first. I can't guaruntee wheter or not I'd approve them without looking them over first. For example, some little pet dog I would approve and let be 75% in your control, some cousin/friend/sibling of your character I could potentially approve giving you 50-75% control, but some personal bodyguard who benchpresses cannons all day would not be approved at all.

As far as me controlling your NPC in that 25-50% window I mentioned, it would only be when I deam it necessary.

Quote :
No magix? If it does exist, how common is it, and what sort of feelings do most ordinary people have to it? (Actually I'm interested in that last question even if it doesn't exist.)

Magic does exist. It's just super rare. Rare enough that some people don't beleive it exists at all, others are superstitious about it. Theory is that magic used to exist but has almost entirely disappeared from the world (much like the 'monsters' of mythology).

It's out there though.
Quote :
Is there a dominant religion?
Depends on the region. I haven't gotten all that figured out quite yet.

Quote :
Non-human races?
Aside from a few monsters, no. Don't expect elves or dwarves or goblins or orcs. But there are a few others that will not be named that you may run into.

Quote :
Any more info you can give about Grey Lake or the surrounding area in general? What kind of government does it have?

Most of that will be revealed in game. But the basics are, it's the northern territory of a large kingdom. The capital of the kindom is in somewhere in the middle of the continent. The northern area is ruled by some cousin of the king. Grey Lake itself is the largest northern city, resting on the shores of a grey watered lake (thus the name). the lake itself is massive, fresh murky waters that freeze over during the winter months.

Quote :
(like where it falls on the scale between 'honest, hard-working, God-fearing citizens' and 'purse strings and throats being cut 24/7')
It's a mix. It's a big city, so it's definately a mix. In some areas you've (like up on the hill) you've got your wealthy people, whereas near the docks and in the heart of the city rogues abound. The guards of the city are primarily honest (think police), but of course there are some bad seeds.

Hope this answers your questions. Unless it's something super pressing though, wait till we're in game so the information can be revealed in the form of a narrative. And don't over exert yourself in creating your character, I'm 100% okay with us all adding additional info to our character profiles/sheets/whatever as we go along. Feel free to make assumptions too, unless it would totally screw up whatever plan(s) I may have I'll probably allow for it. (for instance, both characters submitted so far were not anything I was prepared for... A beastman and a child who was adopted by my NPCs... But I'm cool with both of them and see plenty of role playing potential for each.)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 2:05 am

Cool74 - an ammendum to your character.

I was thinking about it and his speaking the common tongue with an accent is not logical. Here is my reasoning as well as my suggested additional backstory for your character (feel free to tweak it).

The language doesn't make sense given his age. If he has mastered the common tongue (save for his accent) then there is no way he has not grasped the concept of bathing. And given his age it wouldn't make sense to say that he has only recently been in contact with the human race.

With this in mind here is what I was suggest.

After being abandoned as a babe (either via neglect or some tragedy) in a southern forrest he was nursed by some random animal. They cared for him and what-not and he grew. When he reached the age of twelve or so he left the forrest behind to see what else was out there. He found people. One of the people captured him, kept him in a cage and charged admission for people to see him. "Uydr" in the language of the Fire Islands (a series of thirty or so islands beyond the Southern most tip of the continent) means "Ugly one." (or some other insult). Uydr, of course, does not realise this.

Travelling with his master, Kabbot; Uydr was part of a freak show of sorts. He travelled along other oddities, mostly slaves though there were a few who willingly worked for Kabbot. As "Kabbots Oddities" moved northward he noticed a decline in clientel. The northerners don't approve of slavery like the southerners do. Before Kabboy can turn his freak train around, a city official confiscates the train and frees the slaves; sending Kabbot back South without a copper to his name.

In Uydr's eight years in the freak show he was seldom spoken to and was never taught much of anything. This is not to say that he was unintelligent, only that he could not speak. The city official sent Uydr to a tutor who taught him the basics of the language. While Uydr is learning the language, he does not have a firm grasp on it... And he has yet to shake his wilder instincts and habits.

Think of Uydr's speach as that of the stereotypical caveman. "Uydr hungry. Eat pig." Feel free to play with that and have some other nuances. I can see "no" being a popular word for him, since it answers most questions and still makes it sound like he understands what is being said. Given your 'raised by animals' background it's really the only way I can see it working. He's a beastman, not a scholar.

We can assume for the most part that he is able to understand what is being said to him. Bits and peices will escape him but he'll understand basically what is being discussed.

Still though, interesting character that I look forward to playing with. I can already sense the scorn from upper class folk who will turn their noses up at you. lol.

Last edited by Admin on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mizal

Mizal

Character sheet
Character:

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 2:31 am

e: ^^^ love the above, btw. cool, you should go with that Smile

Admin wrote:
You are a question machine.

Awesome, thanks for all that. You are a very patient person. Smile

Okay, my character. Here goes.

Name: Avren Cinneta
Sex: Female
Age: at first glance roughly late 20s or early 30s, but with a few white hairs.
Description: Avren is a slight, almost frail looking woman with very pale skin and black hair she wears loosely coiled in a bun. Her eyes are grey, with dark rings underneath as though she doesn't get a lot of sleep. Though she speaks in a precise, educated manner, most often she's dressed very modestly; a simple black traveling robe thrown over equally plain clothing of the same color, with her only ornamentation being a tarnished silver clip set with three raven feathers she uses to pin back her hair. Newly arrived in Grey Lake, not much is known about her, but she has a slight accent of the central lands around the capital that makes it seem she's traveled a long way, apparently with no companions aside from a single pack-pony and a rather common looking serving girl.

The servant, Yantse, is a plain-faced young woman who, with her lean, long-limbed build and healthy tan, breeches, boots, and wide-brimmed straw hat might be mistaken for a peasant boy at first glance. She has hazel green eyes and sandy hair that hangs just above the shoulders in a pageboy style. Yantse is an obedient, quiet and unobtrusive shadow to Avren, so much so that people sometimes forget she's in the room, and have on a couple of occasions even assumed she was mute. In the unlikely event anyone bothered to look closely enough to notice, the only unusual thing about her would be a long white scar on her neck and the fact that she's missing the index and ring finger of her left hand.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 2:58 am

Mizal, your character is also approved. Your NPC is fine too, but keep in mind that her actions will be under my scrutiny and I reserve the right to override any action you give her. I don't intend to do that much if at all, but I reserve the right none the less. I may also feed a little bit of observation and/or dialogue for her to whisper in your ear, but who knows.

Those of you who have been approved, feel free to start in the thread. Looks like we have three players so I'll make my first real update to the thread late monday night (might be early tuesday morning). Hopefully we'll get a couple stragglers from there. But it makes no matter, you'll likely still be in the inn for at least the first two updates, which would still give time for late joiners.

Before you can post in the game thread: https://rpgfreak.rpg-board.net/t7-grey-lake-1#19 You MUST post your character info in the companion thread: https://rpgfreak.rpg-board.net/t10-grey-lake-1-companion-thread It doens't have to be overly detailed, but include at least as much details as we've covered here. You can always edit in new stuff and make changes in the future.

Looking forward to playing with you all. Remember, dialogue is a non-action; so it doesn't affect your turns. And if I happen to be on, I'll provide NPC dialogue as well. Chances are I"ll be checking in every other day at least, but updates will be limited to the days listed in the first post of this thread.

edit: while this does not in any way follow d&d rules; as a point of reference figure your characters to be at about level 5. I've always hated playing online RPG forum based games where you start out as a total pussy. You can kick some ass in this game. Just be careful not to get in over your head.
Back to top Go down
Mizal

Mizal

Character sheet
Character:

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 11:30 am

Since you mentioned kicking ass and since I'm sure it will come up eventually, any specific rules on PC vs PC combat and/or death?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 1:22 pm

Mizal wrote:
Since you mentioned kicking ass and since I'm sure it will come up eventually, any specific rules on PC vs PC combat and/or death?

As far as death goes. Your character may die. I'm not going to just kill characters off willy-nilly, but since I try to be at least somewhat grounded in reality with my role playing (minus the occassional monster or magic property) death is of course always a possiblity... Especially if you do something stupid.

What's worse than the fact that your character might die? (but if you've ever role played you had to know that was a possibility). I'm not a big fan of magic healing potions. You take damage, you suffer from it like you would in real life. I will sometimes have healing salves and other such medicinal practices of the era that will help to speed up your recovery, but you're not going to go from the verge of death to perfect help with a single swig from a bottle.

As fas as PC v PC combat, if both players state that they would like to do so (OOC of course), then I'll try to work it in. Otherwise I'm against it. There will be plenty of NPCs to fight with. That's not to say your characters are not allowed to despise one another or be enemies or generally mess with one another, simply that out and out combat without permission from both parties is unacceptable.
Back to top Go down
Mizal

Mizal

Character sheet
Character:

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 2:04 pm

Admin wrote:

What's worse than the fact that your character might die? (but if you've ever role played you had to know that was a possibility). I'm not a big fan of magic healing potions. You take damage, you suffer from it like you would in real life. I will sometimes have healing salves and other such medicinal practices of the era that will help to speed up your recovery, but you're not going to go from the verge of death to perfect help with a single swig from a bottle.

I love you.
Back to top Go down
cool74

cool74

Character sheet
Character:

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 2:05 pm

I was wondering if there were any type of warrior monks in this world? Because I would love to be allowed to have the ability to seek them out especially with how my character is starting out.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Warrior monks, yeah. But they very rarely leave their monestaries and are usually in very remote areas.

I wouldn't rule out you chancing upon some or at least some acolytes. But just to clarify, if you mean "the ability to seek" as in a purely "cool, i'll seek them out" kind of thing, that's ok. But if you're channeling some sort of monk-tracking ability, no way.

Also, purposely seeking them out will lead to a very boring quest, I promise you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fantasy - (CLOSED) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fantasy - (CLOSED)
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next