RPG Freak
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
RPG Freak

RPG Freak is a forum based play-by-post role playing site with a growing community that doesn't restrict itself to any one genre. RPG Freak is all about role playing diversity.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Fantasy - (CLOSED)

Go down 
+2
cool74
Admin
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
cool74

cool74

Character sheet
Character:
Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1/3Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/3)
Info: Uydr
More info: Baddass Beast man

Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 2:18 pm

You forget my character would understand animals, therefor be able to use them to help him find these monasteries.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 2:27 pm

cool74 wrote:
You forget my character would understand animals, therefor be able to use them to help him find these monasteries.
No cooly, I think you're over estimated the amont of communication and animal can render. Dogs dont have converstaions with one another, they communicate more basic needs... Howling to announce to the pack where they are, barking as warning sounds, growling to threaten. Their barks and howls, whines and growls, and ball-licking patterns cannot be transcribed into actual dialogue. Their brains simply don't have the capacity for it.

Even monkeys, arguably one of the most intellectually advances species of animals, can only communicate so much in sign language when they learn it. Generally their communication is limited to expressing their needs and desires. Example of the amazing gorilla koko: http://www.koko.org/world/signlanguage.html But even still, she's not communicating anything beyond her desires.

Remember, this is fantasy yes... but it tries to be grounded in reality.

Now, that's not to say that your character won't possibly gain an animal companion/follower or two; or that you won't be able to in some way communicate with animals. Just not to the extent of which you presume. I doubt very much that animals will be able to differentiate between different types of humans other than hunters and non-hunters, with the one exception of your stinky half-animal ass.
Back to top Go down
https://rpgfreak.rpg-board.net
cool74

cool74

Character sheet
Character:
Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1/3Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/3)

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 2:47 pm

I get you but this journey to the temple might pick me up one of those animal companions or two, and if he trains with them. He will be able to control his rage better and speak better as well.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 2:56 pm

cool74 wrote:
I get you but this journey to the temple might pick me up one of those animal companions or two, and if he trains with them. He will be able to control his rage better and speak better as well.
We'll see. But keep in mind that the game you signed up for has nothing to do with monks or a journey to monks. It starts at the Rusted Nail for a reason and the adventure will start there. Perhaps down the road your character can go out looking for monks, but there are two things you have to keep in mind: The liklihood that your character even knows about monks right now is slim to none (though I can certainly find a way in game to introduce your character to the concept) and I promise you that no matter how much you work with the animals you will never reach Dr. Doolittle status. You'll see. They'll communicate with you in time, but the communication level will be lmited to their brain capacity -and- your interpretation of exactly what they are saying.

Which reminds me, pick an animal that raised you. If you already have and I missed it, I apologize... just remind me. You will have more affinity towards that animal type and will have a better shot at communicating with them. Remember, southern region was where you were 'raised' so think Northern Mexico or southern US.
Back to top Go down
cool74

cool74

Character sheet
Character:

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 3:04 pm

Mountain Lions were the animal spices that raised him.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 3:11 pm

cool74 wrote:
Mountain Lions were the animal spices that raised him.

Alright. Cool.
Back to top Go down
Mizal

Mizal

Character sheet
Character:
Info: Avren Cinneta
More info: Seeker of Knowledge

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 3:13 pm

Cool, your guy is already (presumably) getting free tutoring, lodging and food provided by this amazingly progressive faux-medieval government, maybe they even give him a lady dog to do things nobody wants to know about with at night so with his animal mindset I would think he'd be pretty happy where he was with all his basic needs satisfied. I mean, I guess I can see him deciding everything is too loud and confusing in a city and he wants to run off to live with the coyotes again or whatever, but I'm with DEP here, 'learn kung fu' seems an odd desire to start off with.

Either way though, this guy's gonna be fun to RP with. Laughing

Anyhoo, off to write an intro post.
Back to top Go down
cool74

cool74

Character sheet
Character:

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 3:30 pm

Mizal wrote:
Cool, your guy is already (presumably) getting free tutoring, lodging and food provided by this amazingly progressive faux-medieval government, maybe they even give him a lady dog to do things nobody wants to know about with at night so with his animal mindset I would think he'd be pretty happy where he was with all his basic needs satisfied.

I seriously doubt that. Also my character is not as dumb as you think he is. He understands that this is the world he belongs in. He also understands that he is odd and fells a need to learn this peoples language and culture.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 3:46 pm

Fight nice, guys. No one said he was dumb, just that his lot in life is a huge step up from where he came from. And the whole 'seek out monks to learn martial arts' definately seems like an odd goal for your character to have. I can undertand why you the player would want that, but for the character...

Like I said though, if you really want it, down the road I can introduce your character to the concept and go from there. Just don't expect his first adventure or two to be quests for the monestaries.
Back to top Go down
Mizal

Mizal

Character sheet
Character:

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 4:11 pm

Don't worry, we're not fighting. Smile Like I said, I think the character concept could be a lot of fun--I read the shit out of all those ridiculous old Tarzan books as a kid--I'm just trying to get a better sense of the character since it kind of seems like there's two different themes going on with him that don't necessarily play nice together at this point in the game.

But of course we're only just getting started, who knows where our characters will all wind up once things get rolling.

(btw, make your post! Maybe DEP will update early once we've all had our turn Smile )
Back to top Go down
Mizal

Mizal

Character sheet
Character:

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 5:54 pm

I'm assuming we all need to wait for DEP to post before going any further now?
Back to top Go down
dreamshell

Character sheet
Character:
Info:
More info:

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 6:48 pm

I don't see why we can't have our PCs interact a little more with each other before DEP gets things going. But it's his call.
Back to top Go down
Mizal

Mizal

Character sheet
Character:

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 6:53 pm

Well, I'm basically looking at it like the NPCs are his characters, and since we all interacted with them they need a chance to interact back. It wouldn't make sense for Avren to just wander off in the middle of a conversation with Gil, Olaf might want to cave Beastboy's face in, etc.

I'd like to make a quick post responding to Cool, but just erring on the side of caution here until DEP gives the go-ahead.
Back to top Go down
dreamshell

Character sheet
Character:
Info:
More info:

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 6:57 pm

Good point. I don't see why what I said can't apply in the future, however. But again, it's up to DEP.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 7:06 pm

Though I have updated it, it would have been 100% cool if you had left your post something like "after recieving a response from Gil I go over to beasty and say ____"
Back to top Go down
Bo

Bo

Character sheet
Character:
Info: Ulmark
More info: A simple former slave from a south-western land. He likes hitting things with sticks, so don't make him mad... especially if he has a stick

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 7:24 pm

Do I need to PM (if you have that here) the admin to play or do I just post it here and you say yay/nay? I'll go ahead and post as I don't get on the computer as much as I used to, but I'll send the admin a PM if he/she needs me to.

Name: Ulmark
Sex:M
Basic description: A former slave in an uncivilized Western land, he took place in a slave revolt and found himself homeless as a result. After the revolt, he wandered the land, killing animals and humans alike when he needed to survive, and eventually found himself in the North. Now in the Rusted Nail in order to get some rest, rumors spread quickly about his past, some say he walked for days without sleep, others say he killed his slaveowner with nothing but a broomstick, but one thing that can certainly be confirmed is that nobody wants to pick a fight with this young man. Due to his slave heritage, Ulmark relies more on his muscles than his brain and is best suited to blunt weaponry. He has a basic understanding of the common language (it's not his native tongue) and has a gruff personality
Back to top Go down
Mizal

Mizal

Character sheet
Character:

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 7:56 pm

Jesus, any more smelly barbarians show up in that inn and Avren's packing up her things and leaving.

Glad you decided to join us, Bo. Laughing

DEP's the only admin, and he should see your post soon. After it's approved you just jump right in, you don't need to PM anybody. I'd suggest catching up on what's been posted about the setting and stuff in the meantime.
Back to top Go down
cool74

cool74

Character sheet
Character:

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 8:07 pm

Mizal wrote:
Jesus, any more smelly barbarians show up in that inn and Avren's packing up her things and leaving.

Don't know what talking about. Uydr smells just like 5 month old cabbage. Its heavenly!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 9:21 pm

Bo wrote:
Do I need to PM (if you have that here) the admin to play or do I just post it here and you say yay/nay? I'll go ahead and post as I don't get on the computer as much as I used to, but I'll send the admin a PM if he/she needs me to.

Name: Ulmark
Sex:M
Basic description: A former slave in an uncivilized Western land, he took place in a slave revolt and found himself homeless as a result. After the revolt, he wandered the land, killing animals and humans alike when he needed to survive, and eventually found himself in the North. Now in the Rusted Nail in order to get some rest, rumors spread quickly about his past, some say he walked for days without sleep, others say he killed his slaveowner with nothing but a broomstick, but one thing that can certainly be confirmed is that nobody wants to pick a fight with this young man. Due to his slave heritage, Ulmark relies more on his muscles than his brain and is best suited to blunt weaponry. He has a basic understanding of the common language (it's not his native tongue) and has a gruff personality

Welcome aboard. A few minor details, like general appearance, approx ht and wt and you're good to go. Once you've supplied that, put the information in the games companion thread and then enter the Rusty Nail. No getting around Olaf patting you down and what not, if you try I'll just edit in. lol.

One minor adjustment, your slavery is listed as in the West. Slavery is in the south here, I suppose some SW area wouild work, but the farther away from the southern tio you get the less likely it is for there to be slaves.

Feel free to message me with any queatiosn, brand new site so there's plenty of things that I'm sure I haven't given enough information on or might need to clarify.

Oh, and also, messaging can be done by either clicking 'message' in the buttons at the top, or by going to a users profile and clicking 'contact'.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 12:37 pm

First official update tonight. Prepare to be underwhelmed since we're still very much in the infancy of the thread.

Newcomers still welcome to join, we currently have 3 playing and 4 who are signed up to play. I'm willing to take on another but I'll probably be capping the group off at a max of 6. (and we have barely enough members to reach that cap so far.)
Back to top Go down
Mizal

Mizal

Character sheet
Character:

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 2:25 pm

So how much of this do you have planned out in advance? Can I assume some of the future updates are going to be of the 'shit's going down' variety, or is more up to our characters to drive the plot?

(also am I the only one getting constantly confused by the lack of a reply button on the bottom of the thread?)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 4:09 pm

The reply button marked "post reply"?

lol.

But yeah... I have it partially planned. I found that overplanning is the worst thing you can do because it takes just one player deciding to take an alternate course of action to fuck everything up if you overplan.

So I have a basic storyline planned, a few major NPC's that you'll encounter, and an idea of where certain events will take place. Nothing's set in stone though. Don't be afraid to veer off the course, but at the same time be aware that taking the bate for an advenure is probably going to work better than wondering off on your own.
Back to top Go down
Mizal

Mizal

Character sheet
Character:

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 8:10 pm

Admin wrote:
The reply button marked "post reply"?

lol.

Oh, you're right. Embarassed In my defense though it is pretty out of the way, I guess I just sort of filter out all those links to other forums and stuff down there. I kept automatically moving my mouse down to the bottom right right underneath a post because that's where I expected it to be...and then I didn't see it and thought I need to scroll all the way up or else quote somebody.

Ah well, I'll get used to it. And get my glasses checked.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 7:00 pm

From what I can tell we have one more who will be joining the party tongiht (some time before midnight). Not sure if he'll be starting out with the party or in the village, but yay a fifth player!
Back to top Go down
Fefe
Fefe

Character sheet
Character:
Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1/1Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)
Info:
More info:

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 12:29 am

Well, here goes nothing! I am replying to get a part in this. Muahaha... I mean, teehee. Smile

Name: Edge Alabastor
Sex: Female
Height: about 5'5"
Build: Small, but athletic
Eye color: Brown, in direct sunlight, a honey color
Hair color: Black
Race: Human, Gypsy
Background: Edge has been a runaway ever since a fire destroyed her village killing her parents, and separating her from her sister. Since then, she has been on the lookout for Arianna. Edge once had a real name, but it has been lost over the years as memory begins to fade and fail. She travels with a band of gypsies who perform silly tricks, and tell ridiculous fortunes. She specializes in tarot cards. Edge keeps a small dagger hidden in her boot at all times. She is trained in combat, only because she wrestles and goofs off with the younger men in the gypsy tribe. She seems small, innocent and at times almost fragile, but she has the heart of a lioness and will defend herself and the ones she cares about.

Edge doesn't have many companions besides the gypsies she travels with, save for a small feline. A little black cat by the name of Midnight who follows her everywhere. It is said that they share such a deep bond, that they can communicate with one another. This happens to be false, they just have a very good mutual understanding of one another. Edge has had Midnight since she was child, and would not give him up for anything. She also tends to have wanderlust, and cannot remain in one place for too long. Edge also is very romantic, and tries her hardest to see the good in people.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy - (CLOSED)   Fantasy - (CLOSED) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fantasy - (CLOSED)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next